Sunday 15 April 2012

233. Today I am grateful for miracles of family history

Today in Relief Society we had a lesson on Family History and we had a wonderful discussion on the miracles that our found through researching our family history. I am grateful to have experienced those miracles in my life.

One such miracle I would like to share was about eight years ago on a visit to Salt Lake City. I made a plan to spend a day at the Family History Library and did some prep work for some information on family lines that I was wanting to research. The night before I prayed for guidance in finding the information I was seeking and I felt impressed that I should research another family line, my grandmother’s family. I followed the promptings and found some records I could search, when I found the microfilms which were in German I then went to find a German-English translation sheet which I could not find. I decided to take a look at the records anyways and to my surprise was able to understand everything it said; it was a strange yet amazing experience and not something I can explain completely. I found a Christening record for my great grandfather that had not only his parent’s names but his grandparents (who I was looking for!). I went to photocopy the record and by the photocopier were the translation sheets. I decided I did not need one and went back to my research and could not understand the German language ... so I went back and got a translation sheet. In researching that family line,  I was able to find records for about 4 generations of the family and added six more ancestors and numerous children to my family tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment