Saturday 28 January 2012

155. Today I am grateful to be German


I love the fact that I am exactly half British and half German, with both grandmothers of German descent and both grandfathers were British. However, it feels a little strange to say that I am grateful to be German or proud of my German ancestry because of Germany’s role in the world wars ... but I am grateful to be German and proud of my German ancestors. My grandma has often talked about her father’s hatred for Hitler, how her brother refused to fight and was put into a consecration camp, and that her boyfriend at the time did fight and was killed. It was not a good time in history to be German as German’s in North America, such as my other grandmother’s family, also endured persecution so they mainly kept to themselves in their secluded communities. However, some, including my Great Grandmother’s husband, fought in the war on Canada’s side.

I am grateful to see Germany become tough on hate crimes and to see forgiveness among countries that have seen much turmoil. I love to see friendships develop between Germans and Polish, Ukrainians, etc. My grandma also told me how her sister’s daughter went missing when the family was forced to leave their home as Poland had claimed the land. Sometime later her sister returned to the home to look for her daughter and found that she was being cared for by a Polish family. Great love and friendship developed between them. I love inspirational stories like that!

I am also grateful to have Germany to cheer for during the Olympics and world Football tournaments when Canada is not competing.

No comments:

Post a Comment