Thursday 22 September 2011

27. Today I am grateful for The Book of Mormon

In the last few days I have been thinking about what institute class to sign up for. Institute started last week so I decided that I would go to a Thursday evening class so then I would only miss one week. However, after getting home from work I was contemplating whether I should go to institute that evening or just relax and go to sleep early and then start institute next week. I decided that I should go to the “Pearl of Great Price” class that evening and I am glad I did.

At the beginning of the class our institute teacher mentioned that today was a significant day because 184 years ago on this day Joseph Smith obtained the golden plates. Joseph Smith translated the golden plates which became known as the Book of Mormon. I love the Book of Mormon, not only is it the cornerstone of my religion but through reading this book I have personally come to know that Jesus is my Saviour and the Saviour of the world. The Book of Mormon contains a record of the people on the North American continent which includes prophets who prophesied of the birth of Christ and talked of his mission on the earth. It also gives an account of Christ’s ministry among the people of the North American continent after his resurrection. Before his death, Christ taught that he would visit his other sheep: “And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: Them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold and one shepherd (John 10:16).”
There is so much I could write about the Book of Mormon. I have read it, I have prayed about it, I have come to love it more than any other book and I know that it is true. Latter-day Saints read the Book of Mormon along with Bible. The Bible testifies of Christ as does the Book of Mormon which is why it is known as “Another Testament of Jesus Christ”.

Many people consider Joseph Smith’s experience to be impossible but I know that with God, all things are possible. Through his prophets in biblical times many things were accomplished that many today would consider impossible but they were accomplished. God has not forgotten us and miracles will happen today just as they have for thousands of years. If you would like to know for yourself if the Book of Mormon is true I would invite you to read it and pray about it and you will receive an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment